Clueless Chronicles...

Thinking out loud...

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

The one after 11 months

I am pretty sure that in life, there are three things that everyone will think about; what could have been, what is, and what will be. I have had the pleasure of meeting many people in my life and I have noticed one thing. Many dwell on the 'could-have's and 'will-be's, but most people don't take enough time out of their lives to think about the 'what-is'. Me, I have the exact same 'problem'. I keep reflecting on the 'could-have's, I keep worrying about the 'will-be's, but strangely enough, I find that I do not treasure the 'what-is'. Strange how we human beings, given opposable thumbs and superior intellect, dwell on things that we have no control over, yet seem to neglect things that we do.

A couple of weeks ago, I had a chat with a good friend of mine and we spoke about this very issue in the context of a relationship (or lack thereof....). What I learnt out of that conversation is that this friend of mine is a very 'what-is' person, regardless of the situation; work, relationship, life in general. It gave me a better understanding of her and her views on life. But this whole 'what-is' thing just hit me after a few weeks. Here I am, worrying about things I have done in the past and things I am yet to do (or not do) in the future, totally neglecting to see the 'here and now' in my life.
In many ways, I really envy this friend of mine for the way she looks at life. Me, I'm a worry-wort through and through. Have been and probably will be for a long time to come. But, I need to learn that sometimes, I need to just stop and look around. Instead of dwelling in the past (glad to say that I don't do this much) and worrying about the future (sometime I do too much), I need to stop and smell the roses once in a while, just savour the 'here and now' because I heard rumours that once the 'here and now' are gone, it won't come back.
Hey, I am not saying that thinking about the future is not good. In fact, failing to plan is planning to fail. Sounds familiar? It makes sense. But it also makes sense to enjoy the 'here and now'... takes the edge off thinking about the future, don't you think? Just something for everyone to ponder about....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home